Add Story to Favourites Friendship is a Family Trait by StarLight
[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
Be the first to add a tag to this story


Chapter Notes:

Beta: Kalisona

A cry of agony pierced the silence, and Gimli and Eldarion turned in surprise. They gasped when they saw the arrow in the pirate's chest. The man fell down with a moan, leaving his companions in shock.

More arrows flew and panic settled into the Corsairs' camp. The pirates spread out, running in random directions, but their attackers swiftly rode after them. The men were unable to escape the horses, and soon fell to the ground, cut down by swords.

In less than half an hour, all pirates who had remained in the camp lay dead.

A tall, fair man ran to the two prisoners and swiftly cut their bonds. Gimli and Eldarion stared in confusion. Then suddenly their eyes widened, and shock was replaced by incredible joy.

"Ada! Legolas!" Eldarion cried and ran towards the bushes, where his limping father and friend had appeared.

One of the riders, taller than the rest, stopped at the center of the clearing and dismounted his horse. He removed his helm, letting his long, blond hair sparkle in the light of the rising sun. "Aragorn!" He rushed forward. "I was so worried when I read the letter!" He studied the King of Gondor carefully. "Hmm, I see I was right to worry."

"What letter?" Aragorn seemed confused. "And, Éomer, what are you doing this far south?" He looked at the Rohirrim, and was suddenly surprised to see two dark-haired men among them. What was indeed peculiar was that he knew them well. "Tamor, Laivir, why are you here?"

One of the men knelt immediately. "My Lord, we were delivering the message from Queen Arwen, and –"

Éomer raised his hand to stop him. "Later, Laivir, the tale can wait. Our friends need fire and some hot tea."

The Gondorian nodded and quickly set to light a fire.

---

Legolas sat on a stone, gazing at the fire. It was strange to be among friends once again. For such a long time his three companions and he had been left to face all kinds of dangers alone, most of the time not even together. It was unusual to feel safe.

Eldarion was holding a little branch, playing with the flames. The dry leaves caught fire easily, and this greatly amused the boy. He waved around the branch and laughed merrily.

Gimli was eating happily, and rather noisily, the tasty rabbit stew the Rohirrim had cooked. These lads could have brought some ale, he thought sadly, but when his eyes rested on his friends, he couldn't help his smile. They were safe at last.

Aragorn was holding his cup with both hands, letting the steam from the tea warm his face. "Éomer, I believe it is time for the tale."

The King of Rohan nodded. "Everything started about a month ago. One of my scouts reported unusual activity in Umbar. It seemed to him that the Corsairs were planning something. This worried me greatly, since I knew that whatever they had been planning, it could not be good. I should have told you, but back then I didn't think it had anything to do with you. Now I see that I have been wrong. Forgive me."

"You couldn't have known that," Aragorn said.

"Still, it would have saved so much trouble." Éomer sighed. "But it doesn't matter now. After I talked to my scout, I decided that I could teach the Corsairs a good lesson. I assembled my army and set for Umbar. Before I could reach it, however, these two men found me and delivered some very disturbing news." He nodded towards Tamor and Laivir.

"Shortly after you left, my Lord, we received news that the Corsairs of Umbar had sent an army to Minas Tirith," one of the Gondorians eagerly continued. "The Queen was worried and immediately sent two messengers to Lord Faramir, and Tamor and me to deliver the news to Lord Éomer and ask for help. We rode to Edoras as hard as we could, but we were told that the King had left for Umbar. So we came here, and, fortunately, found you at last."

"The letter they brought was rather alarming," Éomer continued. "Arwen wrote that Prince Eldarion had been kidnapped by the Corsairs of Umbar, and you were looking for him. She was afraid that the pirates' real purpose was to destroy you. She also wrote that a Corsair army was approaching Minas Tirith, and she would need my help to protect the City. I was concerned about you and your son, but I thought that the only thing I could do was to ride to Minas Tirith with my men and hope that I am not too late."

Aragorn stared at the fire, completely shocked by the news. "So Minas Tirith has been attacked," he whispered softly. "But we do not know when and with what army. We don't even know if they were able to defend themselves!" His voice suddenly sounded greatly distressed. "We don't even know if they are still alive!"

A comforting hand was placed on his back. "I am sure Minas Tirith is holding its ground, mellon nín," Legolas said. "Arwen is clever, she will find a way. And Laivir said she also sent messengers to call Faramir. You trust your Steward, don't you?"

"I trust Faramir with my life," he replied softly.

"See? There is nothing to worry about. He will take good care of your city."

"And who is going to take care of Arwen?" The man asked abruptly. "Do you have any idea how upset she must be? And in addition to all of her troubles, she must protect the City from the Corsairs!"

"I can imagine how she feels," Legolas replied. "And this is why we don't have a moment to spare."

"We could reach Minas Tirith in about a week," Éomer calculated swiftly. "But only if we ride very hard and take almost no rest."

"Then ride hard we will." Aragorn stood up.

Éomer followed him. "I am afraid we have no spare horses, so each of you will have to share a horse with one of my men. But, seeing your condition, I don't thing you are able to ride by yourselves anyway."

"Ah, that is not going to happen!" Gimli suddenly interrupted. "If you want to make me ride one of those beasts, I am going to be with the Elf! I trust no one else!"

"I could make two of my men share a horse, and give one to you and Legolas," Éomer said. "But I think he is also wounded, and even though the horse would never throw an Elf, I don't know if he would be able to ride."

"Five broken ribs, severe blood loss, nearly drowning, and nearly freezing to death under the ice," Eldarion provided helpfully, ignoring Legolas' glare. "I believe this answers the question if he can ride."

"Thank you." Éomer smiled. "I am sorry, Gimli, but I don't think you are well enough to ride with someone injured. You will have to share a horse with one of my men."

"I am not riding with anyone else," Gimli said firmly.

"Stubborn Dwarf!" Legolas hissed. "Mount the horse and stop acting like a child! We are in a hurry."

"Then you can ride to Minas Tirith, and I will follow you on foot."

"Good!" The elf shouted in frustration, turned around and walked away. "Stay and get yourself killed! How can anyone wonder who started the fight between Elves and Dwarves?! It is obvious!"

Aragorn knelt in front of Gimli and looked him in the eyes. "Gimli, please, it is not that hard."

"I cannot do this," the dwarf replied. "You may go."

The man sighed and walked to Legolas. "We cannot leave him here!"

"And what can we do?" The elf replied angrily. His frown was suddenly replaced by a fond smile. "Do you remember what you told me some time ago about the bonds of friendship?"

"That they are unbreakable," the King replied. True, it had been a long time ago, but it was something he would never forget.

"Exactly. And I think the same is true about Dwarven heads! They are so thick that nothing can break them," Legolas said with a smile.

"Then we must find something stronger than Dwarven stubbornness."

Legolas sighed. "Give up, my friend, such a thing doesn't exist."

Éomer walked to Gimli and their eyes locked. "You will come, Master Dwarf, and you will ride with me. You can trust me - I will not let you fall. If you refuse, I will take is as a grave offence."

Gimli blinked slightly perplexed. He didn't expect the King himself to offer to ride with him. "I am sorry, Éomer, I-"

"Do you not trust me?"

"I… I…"

"You do not trust me," Éomer stated simply and knelt in front of the dwarf. "Well, I am going to stay here until you mount my horse."

Gimli stared in dismay, but then walked to the horse, murmuring grumpily. "This lad sometimes behaves like a certain elf. Must be because of the hair."

"It seems we found something stronger than Dwarven stubbornness," Aragorn observed.

"Yes." Legolas smiled. "Human stubbornness. I should have known it was stronger."

"It is one of the strongest," the man admitted reluctantly.

"It is true. Actually, I can think of only one thing stronger than it." The elf grinned.

"What is it?"

"Well, it is also a type of human stubbornness, but the strongest one. It is something that you would never want to face. Something so strong, you could never fight against. Something that can get people killed, as well as save them." Legolas observed his friend's confused expression and continued in a solemn tone. "It is something I have known for decades, and never quite come to understand. It is something I have always feared, and hated, … and always, always loved. It is called… Estel Stubbornness!"

"I should have guessed," Aragorn snorted. "But you seem to forget, my friend, that there is something even stronger."

"Is this so?" Legolas' expression seemed horrified. "What is this powerful malice you are talking about?"

"It is something, as you said it, I have always feared, and hated, and always loved. It is Elven stubbornness, mellon nín."

Legolas seemed to be about to reply, but suddenly he froze and threw himself at the human, knocking them both down.

Aragorn looked at him slightly surprised, "Legolas, I think you are overreacting."

"Stay down!" The elf whispered and pushed him to the ground. Only now did Aragorn raise his head and notice the arrow stuck in the tree, precisely where his head had been a moment ago.

The Rohirrim reacted promptly and fired a volley of arrows in the direction the shot had come from. Gimli wanted to kick himself. Of course, Dargmor and another pirate had left the camp shortly before they were saved. So the two were still alive and wandering around!

Legolas leapt to his feet with agility one would never expect from someone in his condition and rushed the way the arrow had come from.

"No!" Aragorn tried to grab his arm, but he was too fast. "Come back, you stubborn elf!" But it was too late and soon his friend disappeared into the forest.

Legolas briefly glanced down at the body of a pirate. Apparently the Rohirrim arrows had killed Dargmor's companion, but the Captain himself had escaped them. The elf could hear his friends call him to come back, and some Rohirrim follow him. No! He would kill Dargmor himself! The Captain was his!

Hatred was usually unknown to Legolas, and, like most elves, he found no joy in revenge. But Dargmor had gone too far. He had hurt his loved ones and deserved his punishment.

Legolas could easily follow the pirate's footprints in the snow. The man was taking long steps, and there were no signs of blood, so he was most probably uninjured by the arrows. It didn't matter. He could deal with him anyway.

A few more steps and he was there. Standing before him was the man who had hurt him so much. Who had hurt his friends so much. The man who, even after being completely defeated, had tried to have his final revenge by shooting at Aragorn. Sapphire eyes narrowed to mere slits. No. Dargmor deserved no mercy.

"So here we meet again, Elf!" The pirate grinned, his voice loud and taunting. There was a dagger in his hand, and his dark eyes glimmered dangerously. "But what has befallen you? I am sorry to say that you look rather unhealthy. Perhaps you are not eating properly?"

"Save your words for the wolves I am going to feed with your dead body," Legolas hissed.

"Self-confident, are we?" The Corsair laughed. "I don't see how you are going to fight me in the state you are in. And that poor king-friend of yours… he looked even worse. It seems to me he won't last long. So I wanted to take pity on him and ease his passing with my arrow, but you stopped me. Too bad, now he will die slowly. You don't seem to be much of a friend."

"Feel fortunate if I find enough mercy to kill you swiftly." Legolas could barely contain his anger.

Dargmor laughed and briefly turned his back. He took a step away from Legolas, but suddenly turned around, sending a dagger flying in the elf's direction.

Legolas perceived the danger and moved aside with speed one would never expect from his battered body. The quick movement, however, cost him his balance, and he landed on the snow.

Two swift steps and Dargmor was upon him. He pressed his knee on the elf's chest, pinning him down. "Who is stronger now, elf? You dared stand against me and now you'll bear the consequences. This wasn't your war, you shouldn't have been involved."

"It was my war!" Legolas hissed through clenched teeth. "It has always been!"

"Foolish choice." Dargmor shrugged and looked around to find a weapon. "Ah, this will do." He took one of the elven knives and unsheathed it. "You shouldn't have helped the little rat who dared injure me!"

Who dared injure me…

Legolas was thinking quickly. This had happened just a few days ago, there was no way that the wound have healed.

Had Eldarion told him where he had wounded the Corsair?

Dargmor raised the knife, ready to slit his victim's throat. But he was not ready for the fist that slammed at the back of his left shoulder.

The pirate cried in pain and rage as his wound was aggravated. His breathing quickened, and he dropped the knife.

Legolas quickly stood up and grabbed the fallen knife. Dargmor was left weaponless and tried to defend himself with his bare hands. The elf could feel the pirate's dirty fingernails break through his flawless skin, but ignored his pain and disgust. He stabbed down, aiming at the pirate's heart, but the man rolled and it only pierced his arm. "This is your punishment for everything you did to us," the elf hissed and struck again, this time finding the man's upper leg. "This is for trying to kill Estel! And this…" He delivered his final blow, this time finding his aim. "This is for Eldarion!"

Legolas fell on the snow, panting and exhausted. All adrenaline that had kept him going had suddenly left his body, and now he felt unable to rise.

"Good work, laddie." A relieved dwarf shook him lightly. "You nearly got yourself killed once again. Couldn't you wait for the Rohirrim to come?!"

One of the men inspected Dargmor's body and nodded in satisfaction when he made sure the pirate was dead. Another one helped Legolas rise.

Before the elf could stand up, Aragorn arrived, leaning on Éomer. "I can see that, surprisingly, you are still alive, mellon nín." The healer's eyes quickly took in Legolas' body. "Then we can continue our conversation. I believe we had just reached the point about Elven stubbornness."

"Very funny," Legolas murmured and yawned tiredly. His latest fight had taken its toll on him.

Eldarion stared at Dargmor's body for a while and finally breathed a long sigh of relief. It was over. But the child didn't realize that the Corsair's deeds had outlived the man, and they had another ordeal to go through before they would finally reach safety.

The army rode north, Aragorn, Legolas, and Eldarion each sharing a horse with one of the Rohirrim, and Gimli mounted behind Éomer. Keen gray eyes were fixed forward.

Hold on, my love. Help is coming.

---

"My Queen –"

"I know, Faramir." Arwen's voice was calmer than usual. "They are attacking again."

"I…I am…" The Steward trailed off, unable to finish. I am sorry, he wanted to say. I should have pushed them away by now. I should have protected you, My Lady, I should have protected the City, but I have failed.

"You are doing your best," she continued, instead of him. "I value your service, Faramir. And, please, do not lose hope. We might not be completely alone," she added mysteriously.

The Steward looked at his Queen in surprise, wondering if her words bore some foresight, or were nothing more than a desperate guess.

---

The King of Gondor was unprepared for the sight that greeted his eyes. The Corsair Army looked like ants around their anthill, engulfing the Gondor forces that raced to stop them. His arm instinctively found the hilt of his sword.

"Éomer, I need someone to stay with Eldarion," he said. "He needs to be kept away from the battle."

Legolas opened his mouth to advise his injured friend to stay away from the battle as well, but the man's next words sent him into stunned silence.

"I need another horse," Aragorn said, looking at the Rohirrim he was sharing his steed with. "I need to ride by myself."

Wide blue eyes fixed on him. "And what good will this do? You will be killed before your men hear that the King has returned! You look terrible, my friend, you can barely keep yourself from falling from the horse, let alone hold a sword! I beg you, be sensible! You cannot fight, and you will be no use to your men dead!"

"You are right, mellon nín, I cannot fight," Aragorn replied suddenly. "I cannot help my men with my skills at battle. But they need me now, and the only way I could help them is to raise their spirits. They need to know that I am here, that I am fighting by their side."

"We can tell them that you are here!" Legolas protested desperately. "You do not need to fight!"

"You know that it is not the same. Nothing can raise the men's morale as much as the sight of their King fighting as one of them." He nodded his thanks to the man who dismounted their steed, leaving the horse all to him, and rode forward.

Legolas stared at his friend's retreating back, anger and frustration mixed with pride and affection.

You don't expect me to stay idle either, do you? The elf wondered with a smile and rode forward, much to the shock of the man sharing his horse.

---

"The King! The King has returned!" Cries of joy and relief sounded through the battlefield.

Up on a balcony on one of the highest floors in the palace two gray-blue eyes turned towards the skies and thankful tears rolled down the smooth cheeks. Beautiful ruby lips turned into a smile, a smile that washed away all fears and nightmares she had been through since the day the news of Eldarion's kidnapping had come to her. A smile that reached her eyes and warmed her heart.

Welcome home, my love.

---

Aragorn sighed and smiled as the next Corsair, who had dared raise his weapon against him, fell shot by an arrow. His loyal elven friend had not allowed a single foe to come anywhere near him. But the man had trouble keeping himself on the horse and holding his sword raised, so for the first time he was glad for this over protectiveness.

A quick hand went to the quiver, only to find it empty. Legolas gasped when he realized that he had run out of arrows, and he turned around in panic. "Estel, don't move!" He shouted and dismounted his horse, rushing forward. He is badly injured, he cannot fight! He thought frantically, forgetting his own numerous wounds.

Aragorn heard his friend's warning, but didn't have much choice when one of the Corsairs lunged at him. The agile pirate jumped on the horse, pushing down its rider.

Aragorn fell to the ground and rolled over to avoid being crashed by the hoofs of the frightened horses. His wounds impacted painfully with the hard surface, but he recovered surprisingly fast and jumped to his feet, ready to face his assailant. He raised his sword with unsteady hand, silent resolve in his eyes.

The Corsair swung his blade, but the King blocked it with his own, taking a step to the left. He ducked quickly and trusted his sword into his attacker's stomach. The pirate dropped down with a moan, and Aragorn was about to sigh in relief when a hoarse command reached his ears.

"The King! Over there! Kill the King!"

Great. He stared at the three rather tall pirates quickly approaching him. A brief glance backwards told him that Legolas was frantically trying to reach his side, but was too far away. It looks like I have to deal with them by myself. His grip on the sword's hilt tightened, but it didn't make it any steadier.

One of the men charged at him, but Aragorn quickly blocked his blow. He thrust his sword towards the man's chest, but the pirate sidestepped it. The Corsair's blade swung towards his opponent, aiming to cut his head, but was masterfully stopped. His skill is great, but I can see that he is greatly weakened, the pirate thought with a grim smile. So I must count on physical strength. If I kill him, Captain Dargmor will reward me generously. Little did he know that the said pirate lay cold and numb, slain by the same golden elf now racing in panic to aid his friend.

The man suddenly dropped his sword and grabbed a large saddle, fallen from one of the horses. He threw the heavy object at the weakened king, causing him to fall to the ground with a surprised gasp. With two fast steps the tall pirate reached Aragorn and crushed his booted foot on the man's chest, forcing all air out of his lungs. Aragorn struggled to breathe, but the only image before his dimming vision was the man's grinning face.

"Oh, I see you have been injured here, your Majesty." The man's boot moved deliberately to a wound that had not closed completely. "And here. What has happened to you? You look like a sieve." The boot rose and came crushing down, once again leaving Aragorn fighting to catch his breath.

---

"Estel, no!" Legolas pushed away another pirate and continued his wild rush forward. The man was too far away, too far away! He would never reach him on time.

The thin figure of a pirate with dark and cunning eyes stood in front of him. "Don't you wish to fight me, Elf?" He asked tauntingly.

Legolas grunted in anger and frustration. He would have dealt with the man easily, but his body had taken too much assault recently. He didn't have a moment to spare, so he just pushed the man to his right and tried to go on.

"You have no choice, Elf," the man said darkly, and Legolas suddenly had to duck to avoid the blade flying towards his throat. He quickly held up his twin knives and prepared for the battle. He would deal with that arrogant creature; it was a matter of time. But time was what he did not have.

Please, hold on a while longer, my friend. I am coming.

---

Aragorn heard his friend's panicked shout and felt the silent encouragement to hold on. I will wait for you, mellon nín. With the last remainder of his strength he raised his sword and cut a deep gash at the leg pressing him down. The pirate cried and fell forward. Aragorn saw the body flying down at him, and held his sword with its tip pointing up. The pirate fell over the blade and cried in agony as it pierced his chest.

The heavy body fell over Aragorn, pinning him in one place. He tried to move, but the weight pressed him firmly down. Once again he struggled to breathe, but the body on top of him didn't let him move his chest. Instinctively, he started coughing weakly, but even this was hard. Bright flashes appeared in front of his vision from the lack of oxygen, and suddenly he gave a strangled moan as the weight on top of him increased.

"What do we have here?" The pirate who had stepped over his dead companion's body grinned down. "The King of Gondor lying under my feet and nothing between him and my blade."

He raised his sword and swung it down.

---

"Nooooooooo!"

The only thing Legolas could see was his friend lying down helpless, all color drained from his face, and the dark blade that would end the man's life in seconds.

That is why he never saw the pirate's fist flying towards his side, before he felt it impact with his broken ribs. Neither did he see the raised sword.

The slender elven body hit the unyielding ground with a sickening thud. A soft sigh escaped the pale lips and he knew no more.

---

"Elessar!"

Aragorn suddenly felt part of the weight on his chest go away as a frantic Steward pushed down the pirate. The Corsair turned in rage to face his new foe, but Faramir had the element of surprise on his side, and swiftly thrust his sword through the unprepared man's heart.

However, he hadn't noticed the third Corsair, who had crept behind his back.

"Faramir!" Aragorn shouted weakly when he saw his loyal Steward fall unconscious. The pirate approached his fallen opponent with a grin and the king's heart raced in panic. "Legolas, hurry! Help Faramir!" Where is this elf when you need him?

When the question came to his mind, he gasped as a strange feeling of emptiness assaulted him. He could sense some great loss, as if a part of his heart was gone, and this scared him. But he attributed it to his Steward's impending death and fixed teary eyes on the fallen figure.

The Corsair took another step towards Faramir, but stopped abruptly as one of the Gondorian warriors jumped in front of him, eyes shining in grim determination. The young man raised his sword and Aragorn could hear the clash of metal.

The king watched with a clenched heart the blurry images move before his eyes. The Corsair was bigger and seemed stronger, but the Gondorian was faster and fought with love and devotion.

After a brief fight, during which Aragorn felt his heart stop several times, the pirate fell dead to the ground. The Gondorian rushed to Faramir and bent over the still form, sighing in relief. Then he walked to the fallen king, grabbed the dead pirate's body and pulled it away.

Aragorn rose slowly, his breath coming in short, ragged gasps. The Gondorian gave him a last glance and turned away.

"Wait!" The king grabbed the warrior's wrist. "Lad, you saved your King and your Steward's lives, and you want to leave before I have even thanked you!"

The man didn't answer and looked away, but not before Aragorn had caught a glimpse of the deep gray eyes.

Suddenly a benevolent smile graced his noble features and his look softened. "Oh, child! I thought you had given this up!" He gently lifted the warrior's helmet, letting the long, golden locks fall around the fair face. Éowyn blushed slightly, but didn't tremble at the touch. She was free of him, and for this he was glad. The brave lady deserved to be happy.

"I… I just thought he would need me," she muttered, looking briefly at her husband's unconscious form.

"Your decision is wise then, for he indeed needed you," the King said and his smile widened. "Now you can make sure he is returned to safety beyond the City walls."

Éowyn's eyes carefully took in Aragorn's battered body and pale face. "I think I will also need to make sure that you are brought to safety," she pointed out with a bright smile.

"I will be alright," he said reassuringly. "Go, he needs you! And thank you!"

She looked at him briefly before running to her husband's side. Aragorn's gaze followed her, and then he turned around. Relief flowed through his body as he took in the battlefield.

The help of the Rohirrim riders had been invaluable. Most of the Corsairs lay dead, and the rest were trying to escape in small, scattered groups. At last he allowed himself a victorious smile.

They had won.

But suddenly it all disappeared. Horses, riders, fighting men, and dead bodies all swirled around into a fog of darkness. He couldn't distinguish the separate forms anymore.

All that he could see was the pale elven body lying limp in the hands of a distraught dwarf.

---

Arwen scanned worriedly the battlefield, looking for signs of her beloved. Her heart leapt as the Riders of Rohan appeared for it meant that the Corsairs would be easily pushed away.

But then she caught another sight that made her heart beat in joy and nervous anticipation. In the midst of the battle she had caught a glimpse of golden hair she knew too well. It had quickly disappeared among the mass of fighting dark shapes, but she was sure of what she had seen.

And if Legolas was here, then Estel, and probably Eldarion, were with him.

Don't worry about Eldarion, my love. I won't come back without him. I swear.

Estel would never come back without Eldarion. And Legolas would never come back without Estel. For the first time in the latest days she smiled with joy and relief.

But suddenly she gasped as she felt a dull pain in her heart. She learned forward and gazed intently, her eyes worriedly moving over the fighting figures.

You suffer, my love. Why? What has happened?

---

Sad brown eyes left the pale face and looked at the trembling king, running wildly towards them. The man fell to his knees, all of his strength leaving him at once. He stretched his hands forward to touch the shining golden hair, reflecting the sunrays, but they were shaking so much that he couldn't control them. He tried to speak, but everything that came out of his mouth was a strangled sob.

He looked at Gimli, and the dwarf's voice caught in his throat. Never before had he seen Aragorn's eyes so pleading. And never before had the King looked so forlorn.

"He lives, laddie," Gimli assured him hurriedly. "He will be alright… I hope. Although I am afraid his ribs will hurt. And he injured his head, I don't know how bad, but he hit it as he fell. I killed that scum before he delivered his final blow." He shot the fallen Corsair a disgusted glare.

The shaking hands enveloped the still form. "He…he… will be… alright," the man sobbed quietly. "He… he has to be." He swallowed and closed his eyes, unable to continue.

The Corsairs are leaving mellon nin. I am safe. Eldarion is safe. Thanks to you.

Don't you wish to see our victory? Don't you wish to see the happy faces of the people who have come to greet us?

Wake up! They won't hurt you anymore. No one will hurt you anymore. It is over, mellon nín. We won.

You won.

The snow was falling slowly, covering the dead bodies and the ugly signs of the battle under a white blanket. It fell on Aragorn's shoulders and hair, but he paid it no heed.

Suddenly he felt a slight movement in his arms and looked down. Two blue eyes were staring at him in wonder. Never before had this sight filled his soul with so much happiness.

A mischievous sparkle appeared in the sapphire eyes. "Mellon nín, you look terrible!"

Aragorn stared at the elf, confusion written all over his features. And then he laughed. Laughed and cried as he had never done before. Then he bowed his head, overwhelmed by silent sobs.

Legolas smiled as he felt tears of relief fall over his cheeks, mixing with his own.

---

"Estel!" Before the hapless king could realize what has befallen him, he was enveloped by the slender arms of his beautiful wife and kissed numerous times. "Meleth nín, I was so afraid!" She gently cupped his face in her hands and pulled back, so that she could take a look at his, and he saw that her stormy eyes were filled with tears. "My dreams have been dark and filled with dread. I feared I would never see you again," she admitted softly, not trusting her voice.

A strong hand gently caressed her smooth cheek. "It is over, my love. The darkness can reach us no more."

"Nana!"

"Eldarion!" The Queen had let her tears flow freely by now, and she pulled the child close to her heart.

Legolas watched the exchange, his own eyes slightly moist. He patiently waited for Arwen to express her joy and relief, and finally decided that it was time to announce his presence and cleared his throat. "I am also happy to see you again, Arwen," he said with a gentle smile. His voice was still weak from his last ordeal, but filled with relief and happiness.

The Queen turned to him, her face beaming. "I am sorry, Legolas, I should have thanked you immediately. I was so afraid, but my soul was greatly put at easy when my husband's escort returned and told me that Estel's guardian angel was with him. I knew you would take good care of him." She embraced him warmly. "No words can express my deep gratitude."

Suddenly she released the elf from her embrace and knelt before the dwarf, who was looking rather uncomfortable. "I must thank you too, my dear Gimli. You have always been a brave and loyal friend." She leaned forward and placed a kiss on the little being's brow.

The poor dwarf quickly acquired the color of a ripe tomato as the beautiful elleth kissed him. She is not nearly as beautiful as her grandmother, but pretty nonetheless, he thought and looked down to hide his embarrassment.

Eldarion grinned at the sight of the dwarf and looked around. He suddenly spotted a little figure standing by the door.

"Berehil!" He rushed towards his best friend, who had been injured when the Corsairs first took Eldarion. He hadn't recovered completely, but had managed to persuade the healers to let him go and meet his friend.

"Your wish came true, Eldarion." The other child smiled. "You left Gondor and saw the rest of the world. You must tell me what happened."

"Oh, I have to tell you everything!" The little prince seemed excited. "I fought orcs, and I saw some trolls, and I wounded the Captain of the Corsairs!"

The boy gaped at him. "You wounded their Captain?!"

"Yes, I did," Eldarion answered proudly. "And later he was defeated because of this wound."

Berehil stared at him in admiration. "You have to take me with you next time you leave Gondor! I want to see real trolls! What do they look like?"

"They are huge and frightening," Eldarion answered. "But I wasn't scared. They will never scare you if you are brave," he added with a proud smile. "I will take you with me when I return to Umbar." And I will return, he thought, his eyes suddenly turning sad. I have to honor the grave of a pirate who saved me. A man who gave his life for hope.

The happy Queen was listening to them with amusement. Finally she rose to her feet and turned back to Legolas. "My dear friend, you know that you are welcome to stay in Minas Tirith as long as you want."

"Thank you, Arwen, but I wish to settle in Ithilien as soon as possible," the golden-haired elf answered. "Many of my kin have already moved there, and others will come when they learn that I have returned. The Shadow is gone, but it will take long years for my people to restore the forest to what it once was." He noticed the King's gaze suddenly darken and quickly added. "But I think Gimli and I will gladly enjoy your hospitality until all of us have healed completely. I am afraid this will take a long time."

Arwen laughed merrily. "Then let the healing start tonight! Please, come inside and join us for dinner. I am sure you haven't seen decent food for a while."

These words seemed to lift all spirits, and everyone walked inside, impatient to rest and enjoy the mastery of the royal cooks. Aragorn was just about to enter, when he stopped and turned back, his eyes fixed on a lone figure that had remained behind.

"Faramir?" The Steward raised his head and the regret in his eyes caused the King's heart to twist painfully. "Faramir, the war is over. There is no need for grief now. Let us go inside and celebrate."

"I failed you, my Lord."

The reply startled Aragorn. "What are you talking about? You have never failed me."

"I was entrusted to protect the City, and I betrayed your trust. I should have pushed away the Corsairs, but I couldn't. I proved to be unworthy of your grace."

"How can you say that?" The King asked almost angrily and reached his Steward's side in a few long strides. "Faramir, you did everything that could be done! No one could have pushed away the Corsairs in this position!"

"Boromir would have done it." The reply was soft and came almost like a sob.

Aragorn sighed sadly, suddenly understanding what the problem was. "No, he wouldn't." He gazed into the sad, unbelieving eyes, and continued. "I am not your father, Faramir." He looked at his Steward, afraid that he might have said something wrong, and added quickly. "Your father was a good man. But he failed to see your worth. I don't."

Faramir looked up, not sure if to believe his King. Aragorn smiled gently, hoping that the man could see the truth in his eyes and know that he meant what he said. "I know your uses, Faramir, and they are many. I could never ask for a better Steward."

For a moment the Captain of Gondor stared speechless, not sure how to react. But finally he allowed himself a small smile. "Thank you, my Lord."

"I also wish Boromir was here," Aragorn continued sadly. "I wish he was here because he was a good man and a good friend, and I grieve over his passing. But I do not wish him back because I would prefer another Steward. No, Faramir, you have always been loyal to me, and I hold your service in very high regard. But we have won now, and it is time to rejoice. Come, my friend, let us join the others!"

The smile on the Steward's face was teary, but a smile nevertheless, and he followed his King inside the palace.

---

Weeks passed and slowly wounds healed and things started to come back to normal. Aragorn could still feel one of his graver injuries, but for the first time in his life he didn't wait impatiently for his recovery. For it would be the day his friends would leave.

Legolas' broken ribs had mended quickly, as only elven bones could, but he had decided to stay in the White City until Aragorn was completely healed. He didn't seem to be in a hurry to leave, much to the King's delight.

The winter in this part of Gondor was soft, and one day the weather was sunny and pleasant, inviting the four friends to go to a ride together. Of course, Gimli was not at all excited about the ride, but finally agreed to share a horse with his elven friend. The three horses ran merrily, making the snow crunch under their hoofs.

"Legolas, let us race!" Eldarion shouted happily.

"Race? My friend, you know you cannot ride as fast as me, and my heart will grieve to win and leave you defeated."

"You will not win!" The child challenged.

"Alright, I will race you, but I want to give you an advantage. I will keep Gimli on my horse, so that it will be harder for me."

"Fine. Let's go!" Eldarion rode forward and the elf quickly followed him.

Aragorn shook his head smiling. He dismounted his horse and sat on the ground to wait their return. His smile grew wider as he listened to the dwarf's cries of dismay.

"Wait! I have never agreed on a race! And I don't appreciate being handled like luggage! Legolas, make it stop! Legolas! I'll make you pay for this, princeling, I swear by my mother's beard! I'll walk you into the deepest cave and keep you there for days, no, months! Let us see if you will be laughing then…"

The voice grew fainter as the horses rode farther away. Aragorn rested his back on a tree, letting the serenity of the forest soothe him. He suddenly noticed a small black creature moving slowly on the snow. He placed his hand in front of it, and the beetle crawled on it.

You are a strange creature, my little friend, Aragorn thought as he raised his hand closer to his face to take a closer look at the beetle. Even if the Corsairs had taken Minas Tirith and Gondor had fallen into turmoil and despair, you would have felt no difference. You would have continued to crawl in blissful ignorance, and nothing in your small world would have changed. Sometimes I think it is a blessing to live the way you do.

And yet…His eyes shifted towards the White City, which could be seen in the distance. If you can feel no true sorrow, you can feel no true joy. You cannot lose your world, and, therefore, you cannot love it and treasure it as I do mine. Maybe, after all, I wouldn't want a fate like yours.

"What were you thinking about?" The clear elven voice startled him. He had not noticed when Legolas had returned.

"I was thinking that I don't want to be a beetle," Aragorn replied, causing his friend to burst into laughter.

"Most men don't." Legolas grinned. "That is the reason why Eldarion and I managed to escape. Maybe it is time for the beetles tale."

Eldarion suddenly appeared from behind a tree and noticed the beetle on his father's hand. "Oh, ada, I can see you have been playing with one of the Corsairs of Umbar!"

"What!" Aragorn and Gimli looked at him shocked.

Legolas smirked. "Hmm, Eldarion, it seems we have forgotten to restore one of the pirates to his human form."

"It seems so," the child said. "Poor man. He must be feeling quite miserable."

"It is a pity we killed the other Corsairs," Legolas continued, ignoring his friends' incredulous stares. "We could have turned them into beetles as well to keep him company."

Aragorn cleared his throat. "Maybe it is time enlightened the mere mortals about your secret."

"Hmm, is it?" Legolas looked doubtful.

"No!" Eldarion protested immediately. "Not yet!"

"Well, I wanted to take pity on their ignorance, but as you wish, my Prince," the elf said with a warm smile.

"Legolas!" A gray and a brown stare were fixed on him, and the elf finally conceded.

"Alright, alright, I have tortured you enough. Aragorn, do you remember the six Corsairs who ambushed you and nearly killed you?"

"I will need some time to forget that."

"Good. You might not know, but after you fell into that cliff, one of them returned to us, and the rest were sent to cut your head."

"This is most interesting. So?"

"So Eldarion and I turned them into beetles." Legolas laughed at his friend's incredulous expression before he continued. "Or at least one of them believed so."

Man and dwarf stared at them in complete shock. "A pirate believed you could turn men into beetles?!" Gimli shouted. "What does he think elves are? Yes, they are strange, pointed-eared, and arrogant, but to believe they can do magic is pure madness!"

Aragorn couldn't believe his ears. His travels to all parts of Middle-earth had acquainted him with various kinds of ignorance, and he had even amused himself by collecting legends about the Elves. But this was certainly the best one.

He suddenly gazed fondly at his golden-haired friend. "Legolas, I do not know what Elven Magic you used this time, but you did it again. You brought me home safely despite all of my efforts to get myself killed. I would have never survived this without you. Le hannon, gwador nín."

Legolas suddenly froze in shock and surprise and stared at his friend, almost expecting to see some hint that Aragorn was talking in jest and didn't truly meant what he had said. But the gray eyes were warm and serious.

Gwador?

Aragorn had never called him a brother before.

Eldarion watched with amusement his elven friend turn a soft shade of red. He is not nearly embarrassed enough, the child thought mischievously. Fortunately, that can be easily helped.

Before the poor elf could say something, two little arms were enveloped around his neck. "Ada is right! Thank you so much, Uncle Legolas!"

Legolas almost choked at that. Uncle?! Well, this was too much.

Gimli doubled over with laughter. "Uncle Legolas! Oh, my friend, I am sure your father would be thrilled and proud to learn that you have a mortal nephew!"

By that time the elf had turned an even deeper shade of red, and Eldarion finally took pity on him. After all, there were better things to do than embarrass Legolas…

"Thank you too, Uncle Gimli!" The dwarf found himself enveloped in the little arms, and his face color could soon compare to that of his elven friend.

Aragorn watched the entire scene with amusement. His eyes traveled to his human son, and then to his Elven and Dwarven 'uncles'. "We are a most interesting family," he observed with a grin.

"That's true," Gimli chuckled. "A family indeed. We might get into trouble by ourselves, but then we always reunite and get into trouble together, as a real happy family!"

Legolas shot him a quick glare. "Let me point out, my friend, that I do not get into trouble by myself! It is the human who brings me ill fortune."

"Hmm, I have to say, you were injured when we met," Aragorn reminded him. "And you haven't seen me for ten years. Do I get you into trouble from a distance?"

"I was shot only because of your son!" Legolas protested. "He is the same as you!"

The king sighed. "My friend, it is you who gets my son into trouble, not other way around." He suddenly paled and seemed worried. "Wait! Don't tell me that you plan to start leading my son into trouble the way you did with me when I was young!"

Legolas started explaining that his life had been perfectly peaceful before he had met a certain human, but Aragorn ignored him and turned to his son.

"Be careful, ion nín," he warned. "Your life is going to change dramatically after you have met this elf."

Father and son grinned at each other. They both knew that Eldarion's life would change after he had met Legolas.

And they were both looking forward to that.

THE END