Add Story to Favourites Playing Cat and Mouse by Sivan
[Reviews - 0] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
Be the first to add a tag to this story

For Disclaimer, Summary & Warning check in 1st chapter.

Beta: Aranel - thank you for the bunny, it helps a lot.

Prompt #30: Monster

In Gondor, at night…

Gimli sat at the foot of the bed while King Elessar told Eldarion and him a bedtime story.

The king had to hide his grin, though, as it seemed that the dwarf actually believed his tale about monsters. He was not worried about his child; after all, should the boy should be frightened, he would eventually run toward Arwen and his room.

Elessar wondered just how Gimli would take things from here.

In the morning…

Legolas watched as Gimli checked for something below the bed in Eldarion’s room. The elf soon became curious.

"Gimli, what are you doing?"

"Looking for something."

Legolas was aware that Gimli held his axe in a very alert position as though he was ready to attack anyone, and he wondered what it could be… Then a thought struck him.

The elf grinned at his friend and asked, "Is it possible that you are looking for Eldarion's monster there?"

Gimli left the bed and stared at Legolas with a slight fear in his eyes, "Is it there?"

Legolas hid his grin as he continued to tease him, "Have you checked in the closet? It must be watching you now."

Gimli turned toward Legolas, not knowing if the elf was making fun of him.

Legolas changed tactic. As he walked toward the doorway, he asked, "Gimli, where were you when Elessar told Eldarion his bedtime stories?"

But before Gimli could answer, Eldarion burst into the room, calling for him.

"Uncle Gimli, uncle Gimli…" the boy called.

"What is it, son?" Gimli asked.

"Have you found my Orcling?" the boy asked, staring at the dwarf with pleading, innocent eyes.

Gimli raised his eyebrow and faced the smiling elf who was wondering what Eldarion meant.

"What are you talking about Eldarion?" Legolas asked.

Just then, the king happened to walk by, and surprised to see them all in his son's room, he asked, "What are you all doing in Eldarion's room?"

Legolas gave his friend a look, “Do not look at me; I was surprised to find Gimli in here.”

"Gimli?" the king asked and stepped into the room.

"I… I was looking for something…" Gimli stuttered, adding no more.

"Like what?"

"Eldarion's monster," Legolas replied for him with a grin.

Gimli sighed and then he looked at the boy’s small form, noticing the pleading look as the boy waited for his answer.

"Have you found and killed my monster?" Eldarion asked again.

"No, I’m afraid I have not."

"That is because, I have found it," the king cut in and walked toward the bed, simply lifted the blanket a little, and pulled out a strange doll.

"How? What?" Gimli just stared at both adar and ion, not knowing what to do.

"Thank you, adar, you found my Orcling," Eldarion thanked him with a hug, and then he added, "Will you tell me another story about it?"

"Anything for you, my son." Elessar replied.

In his enjoyment at this whole scene, Legolas just could not resist contributing his thoughts, "Well, my friend,” he turned to Gimli, “I think all you need now is not to listen to Aragorn's stories as they seem to have a great effect on you."

"You think so?"

"Of course, look at what it has done to you! We were supposed to tour Gondor today, and we already lost quite a few hours,” Legolas gave him a look of mock disapproval. “My friend, you really should get a grip on yourself and grow up!"

End of this prompt.