Add Story to Favourites Faces of Darkness by StarLight
[Reviews - 7] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
Be the first to add a tag to this story


Chapter Notes:

As I said in my last chapter, Legolas and Aragorn had known each other since Estel has been three years old. Their meeting can be found as a flashback in Chapter 13 of "Friendship is a Family Trait", but you do not need to read it to understand this story.

 

"I am sorry this happened, Legolas," Aragorn said softly, trying to comfort the distressed elf in his arms. He could imagine that being betrayed by a close friend, and then watching this same friend die had been quite hard on the prince. "You look tired, mellon nîn, some sleep might do you good."

Legolas rose and stared incredulously at his friend. "Sleep? And then wake up to see Merzak handing me your dead body? No, Estel, there is no time to sleep, no time even to grieve. We must find a way to escape if you are to live."

"I see no way we can think of," the man tried to reason. "The walls are solid rock, no hole could be made through. The door cannot be opened from the inside, I have tried it several times. Besides, there are numerous guards patrolling along the corridors. Thinking will do us no good now, my friend, if will be better if you rest now and save your strength."

"Save my strength?" The elf stared in shock. "For what, Aragorn? To be strong enough to bury you?!" His voice sounded furious once again. "You told me you wouldn't despair!"

"I haven't, Legolas. I just do not see what can be done right now. Maybe an opportunity will arise when they come for me, and I will use it then."

The elf was pacing around the cell, his eyes fixed on the dirty floor. "I cannot just wait and hope that an opportunity will come!" He stopped and slammed his fist into the unyielding wall and fell to his knees.

"We have no choice, mellon nîn. There is nothing we could do yet."

Legolas nodded in defeat. "You are right. There is nothing to do but wait."

"So you will go to sleep now?"

"No."

Aragorn sighed. This elf's stubbornness was something he always hated to face. "What are you going to do then? Stay awake and enjoy your lovely surroundings?" He said and cast a brief glance at the rotting rat.

"I will stay awake and enjoy your company, Estel," the elf said. "But not because this might be my last chance to do it. I do not believe this. I will have many more opportunities to be with you and talk to you in the future, mellon nîn, of this I am certain. But every single time is special, and brings my heart joy and relief. I will not miss this one."

Aragorn sat next to the elf and smiled affectionately. "As you wish, my friend. But your words surprise me. You have often said that I annoy you."

"You do, human," Legolas murmured. "You are most annoying quite often. Now behave and do not make me regret my choice!" He sighed tiredly and rested his head on the wall, his hand finding his friend's and clasping it tightly. "I thought once that I have lost you. I don't think I could bear it again."

Aragorn chuckled. "I am afraid that incident was my fault."

"And it will be your fault this time as well," he whispered coldly, but immediately turned towards his friend in regret. "I am sorry, Estel. The truth is I am angry with myself and I turn my rage at you. Forgive me."

"I blame you for nothing, mellon nîn, there is nothing to forgive," Aragorn replied softly.

Legolas smiled and his eyes suddenly sparkled mischievously. "But nineteen years ago it was your fault!"

Legolas was sitting on a desk, writing a letter to his father. He had stayed in Imladris a fortnight longer than initially planned and Thranduil would not be pleased. The young elf had to carefully explain his reasons, so that his father and king would not blame him too much.

He sighed and looked outside. The sun was shining merrily, and the trees were whispering soft words of invitation. The twins had gone hunting, but he had been unable to join them. The long letter had to be finished and sent as soon as possible.

"Ah, Legolas, you are here!" A five-year-old human boy called behind him. "Now you must play with me!"

Elegant eyebrows were lifted in surprise. "I must play with you? Is this an order?'

"Yes."

Legolas resisted the urge to laugh. "And why, my lord, has such and important task been appointed to me?"

"Because nana is helping in the garden, Dan and Ro have gone hunting and ada has work in his study. I have no one to play with."

"I see. So you need someone to entertain you and Lord Elrond has said that I must do it."

"No," Estel said and shook his head. "He doesn't know I am here."

Legolas looked at him confused. "Then who says that I must play with you?"

"I do!" Estel replied proudly and smiled.

This was more than the poor prince could take and he doubled over in laughter. When he finally gained control over himself, he looked at the child and shook his head. "I am sorry, Estel, but I cannot."

"Please?" Estel smiled sweetly and looked at him with his huge, innocent eyes.

Legolas swallowed hard and looked away from the child before him, knowing that in this way saying 'no' would be easier. "I am truly sorry, little one. I have a letter to write."

The child frowned in anger. "What is more important! Your letter or me?!"

"Estel, -" Legolas began hesitantly, not sure what to say to him.

"You are right!" The boy beamed. "Estel is more important! Come!"

Before the helpless elf could comprehend what was happening, a small hand grabbed his and pulled him forward. Unable to resist, he ran after the child and out of the chamber.

"Where are we going?" Legolas asked, trying to catch his breath. How could someone so small run so fast?!

"To the forest!" The child replied happily.

"Wait!" Legolas suddenly stopped. "I think Lord Elrond doesn't let you go there."

"This is true," Estel replied cheerfully. "But you do!"

"What?!" The elf's eyes widened and he stared at the child. "And why would I let you go into the forest?"

"Because I say so!"

"Oh, forgive me, my Lord Estel, I forgot," Legolas murmured.

The boy laughed happily. "I will forgive you, Legolas, do not worry. Let's go!"

"You are not going anywhere," the elf said firmly.

Estel turned to him, and his eyes were huge and pleading. "Please, Legolas! No one will find out."

The elf shifted uncomfortably, but managed to shake his head.

The big grey eyes welled with tears. "You do not love me then," the child whispered brokenly.

Legolas gasped and knelt in front of the distraught boy. "Don't be foolish, little one, of course I love you."

"Then why don't you want to make me happy?"

The elf sighed at the simple question and took the child in his arms. "I will make you happy, Estel, just don't tell anyone. I will be in great trouble."

The boy squeaked excitedly and wrapped two little arms around his friend's neck.

They walked for about an hour when Legolas stopped. "We must not go too far away," he said. "What do you wish to do in the forest?"

"We will play a game!" Estel announced proudly. "You will hide and I will look for you. I will count to give you time to hide."

Legolas nodded. This sounded safe enough for him. Naturally, he would hide somewhere close to keep an eye on the boy. Estel closed his eyes and he looked around, trying to find a good place to hide.

"One, two, three, four, five!" The child said surprisingly fast and opened his eyes. "Here you are!" He pointed at Legolas, who had barely managed to take two steps. "Now is my turn to hide!"

"Wait… you mean that we have to count only to five?"

"Of course not, Legolas, you know nothing about games!" Estel said. "You count until you reach your age. I am five, so I count to five."

The elf paled. "So I have to count to my age?" The child nodded, and he closed his eyes in resignation. This would take a while.

When he finally opened his eyes, Estel was, naturally, nowhere to be seen. Legolas looked at the ground and grinned victoriously. The little footprints were clearly visible, and finding the boy looked like an easy task.

Legolas walked along the tracks, amazed at the great distance the child had covered in such a short time. A short time? The elf smiled. 'I am too old to play this game,' he though. 'My opponent is at a great advantage.'

The tracks were easy to follow, until they reached a narrow river. The elf suddenly stopped and paled in shock. Had Estel tried to cross the river?!

His heart beating wildly, he rushed across the river and stared at the ground at the opposite shore. There were no footprints.

'Don't panic, just don't panic. Maybe he knows that I am following his tracks and has left the river and another place to fool me.' Legolas shuddered at the absurdity of the though. 'He is five, for Valar's sake!"

The elf rushed along the river bank, keen eyes scanning every grass and every stone. 'He could not have gone that far…' He turned back and ran into the other direction, and then repeated this at the opposite shore.

The only tracks he found were of horses that had crossed the river. The child's footprints were nowhere to be seen.

"Estel!" He cried madly into the forest, but silence was the only answer he received. Feeling his heartbeat accelerate and his body starting to tremble, he ran along the river again and again, shouting his little friend's name.

Hours passed and the sun set in the horizon, bathing the forest in a sea of red and then leaving it to darkness. Legolas was standing still, staring at the river in disbelief. It could not be! This little child, so sweet, so joyful, so full of life, couldn't have perished in the dark waters.

But there was nothing more he could do here. He had to return back to the house.

Lord Elrond gasped at the sight of the younger elf. The long golden hair was disheveled, and there were tracks of tears on the dusty cheeks. "My Lord, I have to tell you something," he whispered and looked down.

"Indeed, we need to talk, Legolas," Elrond said, his voice low and serious.

The younger elf felt his heart skip a beat. So they have noticed already that Estel was missing. But it mattered not, maybe it would be even easier this way.

"I never believed I would say this, young one, but you look terrible," Elrond continued, taking in the prince's appearance. "You are tired. We can talk after dinner."

"But I must… lord Elrond…" Legolas tried to protest, but before he could say anything, the older elf walked into the dining room, and he had no choice but to follow.

Legolas gasped at what he saw. There, before his eyes, stood a five-year-old boy with wet, dark hair, smiling sweetly and somewhat guiltily. "Sorry if I scared you, Legolas. But you should know that I don't die that easily."

"Elladan and Elrohir were coming home form their hunt," the lord of the house said. "While they were crossing the river, they found Estel sitting on a stone in the middle of the water and picked him up. Perhaps you could explain what he was doing there?"

Legolas sat on a chair, overwhelmed with relief. Yes, an unpleasant conversation with Elrond was waiting for him, but it mattered not. The only thing that mattered was that sweet and guilty smile.

Aragorn laughed at the memory. "Alright, I admit, it was my fault."

"Of course it was," Legolas confirmed. "You made me take you to the forest. You were a cunning manipulator even at that age! Do you know how scared I was?!"

"I can imagine that," the ranger said with a smile. "If something had happened to me, it would have been dangerous to face my brothers."

"My fear had nothing to do with Elladan and Elrohir, Estel," Legolas said softly.

Aragorn startled and looked at him, knowing fully well what his friend meant. He wasn't afraid that Estel's family would blame him, he was afraid that the sweet little child was gone. Legolas had been quite distressed then, and at that time they had known each other for only two years. How would he feel now, nineteen years later?

The sound of heavy footsteps interrupted his thoughts. The door opened and there stood about a dozen men, dressed in long, blood-red cloaks. The color of the Gradek army.

Legolas paled and walked in front of his friend. "You have no right!" He said. "If you believe that I have wronged you, then take me! He has done you nothing wrong!"

"And has my son done you anything wrong, Prince?" One of the men hissed. "Get out of my way!"

"Never!" Legolas pushed the man next to him, but two guards grabbed his arms and restrained him. He tried to fight, but his body felt strangely weak. He was feeling dizzy and nauseous, and this confused him. His body should have been purged from the poison. And then it struck him. The overdosing would not pass without consequences.

"It is alright, Legolas," Aragorn said softly. He saw that fighting was useless and preferred to save his strength in case there was an opportunity to escape. "Do not worry, mellon nîn. Hold on to hope. I will come back to you. I promise."

One of the guards snorted and led him out. Aragorn looked at the elf and forced a brave smile for his friend before he left the cell.

"No!" Legolas tried to rush forward and struggled against the men's grip.

"You are being too much trouble, elf," one of the men grunted and the hilt of his sword was slammed against Legolas' temple. The elf went limp in their arms and they left his lifeless body on the floor, his face almost touching the rotting rat.

---

As soon as he left the cell, Aragorn's smile disappeared. No, he didn't wish to die. He had to admit he was slightly scared. But he didn't want his friend to remember him that way.

"I thought Merzak wanted to make him watch me die," he hissed.

"Change of plans," one of the guards replied darkly. "Lord Merzak decided that waiting and uncertainty would be worse for the elf."

Aragorn felt disgusted. All of Merzak's actions were aimed to torment Legolas. He could not actually decide which of the two was worse, but both options were bad enough. Still, he felt strangely relieved that his friend was not going to witness his death.

His death. There was a way to escape it, there had to be!

His mother. Elrond. Elladan and Elrohir. Arwen. He wanted to see them again. He had to see them again.

His gaze slowly drifted towards the now closed door of his cell, and he realized that maybe he had seen Legolas for the last time.

"No!" He pulled back and tried to run towards the cell.

One of the guards frowned angrily and slammed his fist against the back of his head. The poisoned wound at his side, all the beatings he had taken, the emotional turmoil, and now this blow. It was too much.

His body went limp in the guard's arms and they dragged him up the stairs.

He was placed on the floor of a room and one of the men stayed to guard him. The rest went to call Merzak.

---

Merzak opened the door and was greeted by a guard in a red cloak. "He is unconscious, my Lord. Do you want me to do it?" He said in a low voice.

"No, not you," Merzak answered and drew his sword. "I will kill him myself, I want to make sure it is done. You are dismissed."

The man in red nodded and left.

Merzak walked into the room and gazed in the body lying face down, wrapped in the old ranger cloak. He raised his sword and grinned.

That elf would receive a present tonight.

---

Legolas opened his eyes and looked tiredly around the room. His vision slowly adjusted to the darkness and he could make out the shape of a dead rat lying just in front of him. His brow wrinkled with disgust.

He looked at the door, trying to remember where he was. Suddenly all memories came back to him.

"No!" He rushed towards the door, grabbed the bars and shook them in helpless rage. "No! Let me go!"

Nobody answered.

And, once again, he was back there. He was back in the forest, running along the river and calling desperately the lost five-year-old child. Only this time he was not going to return happily to Imladris, and was not going to be greeted by Estel's guilty smile.

Hold on to hope. I will come back to you. I promise.

I don't die that easily.

He said he would be back.

He said he would return.

He promised.

He never breaks his promises.

Soft footsteps echoed down the corridor and the elf's heart leapt with hope.

He is keeping his promise.

He is coming back.

The sound of footsteps was becoming louder. The man was coming towards the cell.

He is coming.

A face appeared at the window and the door opened.

"It is good to see you again, elf," Merzak said with a grin. "I thought you might want something to remember your dead friend." He tossed something at the prisoner and closed the door.

Legolas mechanically grabbed the object thrown at him. A dark cloak. One he knew too well. It was old and worn, torn and sewn at many places. His hands found something wet close to the hood. Fresh blood.

The cry of dismay that echoed through the dungeon sent shivers to everyone who heard it. Legolas crumpled to the floor, his face buried in the thick fabric.

TBC