Add Story to Favourites Never Again by Nieriel Raina
[Reviews - 16] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
grey havens

A/N – I highly advise you to have a box of tissue on standby before reading any further...You have been warned.

Chapter Twenty-Two: Finding Light as the Sun Sets

 

Gimli continued to ride as sunset approached. He had been able to see his destination, rising before him for quite some time and the dwarf knew he would make it before sunset. There, once he was able to just sit and look over the horizon, perhaps he would be able to be at peace…be able to bring closure to the wound in his heart...watch the sun set in the west, think of his friend, and begin to heal.

Gimli set his sights on the road before him, and that was when he noticed the other horse coming towards him. Gimli slowed Moroch to a trot, and waited for the other horse to approach. He smiled as he recognized the other immediately and called out a greeting. The dwarf told his friend of his intentions and invited the other to join him. It would be easier if he were not alone.

Soon they were traveling quickly together and Gimli determined to arrive as the sun set, his heart lighter with a friend to talk with as they traveled side by side.

ooo

 

Legolas had been nervous all day. The closer it came to sunset, his heart raced faster; his stomach churned. Beads of perspiration from his nervousness appeared on his upper lip, and he brushed them away in irritation. It was at sunset that the ship would set sail.

Many of the other elves who were sailing on this ship had already boarded, but Legolas could not bring himself to do so just yet. He would wait until the last call. Then there would be no waiting on board; it would be time. He would look into the west and not look back at the land he left behind, the land of his birth, the land of his friends. Knowing this would be the last time he set sight on it, Legolas turned around and let his surroundings sink into him. He took in the trees, the beautiful buildings of the Havens, the rolling hills in the distance. The bell tolled for all to board and Legolas turned back around and moved towards the ship.

As he walked closer to the plank that would take him onto the ship, that strange pain grew much sharper, yet the sea called to him…it ached within him. He stopped on the dock and bowed his head. He had to choose, to leave or to stay. Legolas stood with his head bowed for a moment longer, then lifting his head he chose. The elf took a deep breath, swallowed the pain, and surrendered to the sea. He walked swiftly and confidently up the plank and joined the others.

ooo

 

A grey ship sailed out of the harbor, and on a nearby hill, a large, silver-grey horse watched until it was completely out of sight. As the sun sank below the horizon, Celedae turned and never again came near to the sea.

ooo

 

Gimli arrived at the Lonely Mountain just before the sun set. He dismounted and turned to Tathar who had joined him on the road. Both were suffering from the loss of Legolas and their pain had brought them together. Gimli led them up a steep path, and they came to a ledge where they could sit and watch the sun set.

Sitting together in silence, they watched the sun start to sink into the horizon and Gimli spoke, his voice full of emotion. “Samwise told me that the ships always sail from the Grey Havens at sunset. I needed to watch and imagine him leaving, needed this last goodbye.”

“And I as well, Gimli. Thank you for inviting me to come. It will be hard, but perhaps together we will remember the happy times, and our friendship will bring Legolas joy when I finally pass over the sea.” Tathar spoke quietly.

Gimli turned and looked at Legolas’ best friend from his childhood, now Lord of Ithilien and Asca Nen. “Aye. We’ll have to work on your insults though, lad. You’ve got a long way to go before you can banter with any hope of winning.” The dwarf grinned at the elf next to him.

Tathar smiled. “If you insist. Though how a dwarf can rise to winning when he’s so close to the ground is beyond me!”

The sun sank below the trees of Eryn Lasgalen in the distance, and as twilight came upon the mountain, elven laughter and dwarven curses could be heard. Perhaps it was not the end after all.

TBC

 

A/N – Runs screaming from the room as a mob of angry readers come after me!

STOP...OW...Wait...AAGGHH!...You must listen to me!...There is another chapter...OOF...Don’t throw things! ...read next chapter...give bittersweet ending a chance...PLEASE DO NOT KILL ME!