Summary:

AU. The Quest failed and darkness rules the lands of Middle-earth. For the captives in the Land of Shadow, hope is bleak, and at best they strive to stand, even if only on their knees. And Sauron is set on bending Elessar to his will.

Book two of six.

Rated: T
Categories: Third Age - War of the Ring, Fourth Age - Post LOTR
Characters: Aragorn, Elrond, Eomer, Faramir, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Imrahil, Nazgūl, Original Character, Sauron Genres: Action, Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Language: English
Warnings: AU, Character Death
Language: English Genres: Action, Adventure, Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Language: English
Warnings: AU, Character Death
Complete: No Series: Where the Grass Grows Green
Word count: 82991 Read: 51017
Published: 06/13/12 Updated: 06/18/15


Notes:

What has gone before (for new readers. Feel free to skip):

This work is the second book of "Where the Grass Grows Green", a dark AU of which I have planned six books, corresponding more or less to the books of LotR. The main premise of this tale of "what if," is the question: "What would have happened if Sam killed Gollum before he entered Mount Doom?"

My answer is rather dark, as I believe the quest would have failed and Sauron regained his Ring. Yet not completely without hope.

The first book follows those that escaped from the Battle of the Black Gate and later Minas Tirith. A group, taking the name of the Faithful, resisted the Dark Lord. Their leaders took refuge in Fangorn Forest. Ten years after the defeat, a small group of the Faithful lead by Éomer, travel to the town of Calembel in the south of Gondor in search of food. There they hear news that brings them new hope. Leaving their task of buying food for their people in Fangorn, they hasten to Minas Tirith in a desperate bid to save that hope.

We left them as they had penetrated the dungeons underneath the Citadel and finally found the cell of the one they sought:

Lord Aragorn.

...

Book one can be found in my profile under the name Where the Grass Grows Green book 1. While knowledge of the fist book is not needed for the first part of book 2, the whole work is intended as one, continuous story — rather like LotR itself — and in later parts characters and the story arch from the first book will merge with this. Reading just book two will feel at bit like reading only the story of Frodo and Sam, with no knowledge of what happens to the rest of the Fellowship once they have parted.

Warnings: Rated for violence and character deaths.

Disclaimer: All characters and places are the property of the Tolkien estate. This is written purely for entertainment and at no monetary gain.


Chapters:

(0 Reviews, 5709 words)

(0 Reviews, 4882 words)

(0 Reviews, 4458 words)

(0 Reviews, 5695 words)

(0 Reviews, 6868 words)

(0 Reviews, 5587 words)

(0 Reviews, 2690 words)

(0 Reviews, 4320 words)

(0 Reviews, 5982 words)

(0 Reviews, 7300 words)

(0 Reviews, 6495 words)

(0 Reviews, 7862 words)

(0 Reviews, 7789 words)

(1 Reviews, 7354 words)


Related Stories:
No Related Stories found