[Reviews - 3] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
hurt eldarion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 4: Son of the King

“Arwen? Eldarion!” Legolas called out their names in surprise, as he dismounted quickly. He had ridden hard from Pelargir, as he wanted to reach his home in North Ithilien before nightfall. Some of his kin in Pelargir would be returning tomorrow as well, but something – he knew not what – had moved him to return today instead of riding with them. However, he had hardly expected to see the Queen and her son in North Ithilien, waiting for him.

“How came you to be here? When – ?”

“Legolas!” the little prince cried excitedly, cutting off the elf’s question as he ran into the arms of his father’s friend who had been close to him since his birth. Legolas picked him up and swung him around in delight before hugging him warmly. “You are getting too big to be picked up, prince of Gondor!” the elf declared before setting him down, kneeling and gently sandwiching the fresh young face between his long hands. “Let me look at you.”

He studied Eldarion’s handsome face. He had his mother’s delicate mouth and long dark lashes, but everything else bespoke of his father – from the strong brow and serious grey eyes to the firm chin. Even the way he set his jaw whenever he was determined was the mark of the king of Gondor.

“You truly are the Son of the King,” Legolas said lovingly.

“You’ve been away too long,” Eldarion complained, furrowing his eyes a little and looking even more like his father. “I’ve lost one tooth and sprouted a new one since. See?” And the young prince opened his mouth wide and without embarrassment to offer proof of his claim to the elf.

Arwen had walked over by then and she looked on in amusement as Legolas bent his golden head and pretended to examine the cavern of the mouth studiously, holding back laughter. “Why yes, Eldarion, it’s a fine tooth, and one that would bite with ferocity as befits a strong young man,” Legolas pronounced seriously.

Eldarion beamed with pride. “You will teach me to shoot arrows tomorrow? I’ve forgotten some of the things you taught, you should not stay away too long. Can I stay in the talan tonight? Can I climb the tree? Oh, there’s your horse! Can I get on him?”

Before the elf could answer any one of the child’s rapidly fired questions, the boy had run to where an elf was leading Legolas’ horse away, asking to ride him. Legolas watched him with a tender look in his eyes before turning to Arwen and letting her kiss him on the cheek.

“I did not expect you to be here, Arwen. Is something the matter? Who accompanied you here?” he queried in a rush, realizing with a blush that he must have sounded like Eldarion.

Arwen laughed lightly. “Nothing is wrong, my dear Legolas. Eladrion was simply too bored in the city and pleaded for a visit here. We expect Aragorn to be back in two or three days, but Eldarion would not wait. Four of the royal guards rode alongside, and my maid came with us in the carriage. Faramir saw to everything. I believe that answers all your questions?”

Legolas grinned. “You are always welcome, that you know. But I would have wished to set more guards around the borders before you came. I am glad you reached safely.”

A look of concern crossed the Queen’s face. “Are there problems? I thought Ithilien was safe.”

“It is, Arwen,” Legolas assured her after a slight hesitation. “Only… in the last few weeks, my guards have reported seeing shadows near the borders. They have never actually entered these woods so we know not whether they pose a threat. I simply wished to be cautious.” He did not voice his concern that half his elves were away, and that was half as many that he wished to be here while she and Eldarion were around. “I must take my leave briefly now to see to those arrangements. Where are your guards now?”

“I – um – I sent them back.” At the look of shock and apprehension on Legolas’ face, she quickly added, “But they will be back here the morning after tomorrow, to escort us back.”

“But why did you send them away?” Legolas could not hide the note of concern in his voice now.

“Eldarion is not the only one who chafes within the confines of the palace, Legolas,” she said in a huff, and her next words came in a rush as her voice rose. “So do I at times. Once in a while, I wish to remind myself that I, too, have elvish blood in my veins and that I grew up surrounded by the beauty of Imladris. Ithilien is the only place that can offer me that solace now, and for a day or two, I do not wish to be watched by the hawk eyes of the royal guard. I do not want to be on a leash in woods that are akin to my own elven home!”

Legolas drew a deep breath and kept quiet, allowing Arwen to compose herself again. Her head was lowered and he knew she was controlling her emotions. He certainly understood what it meant to an elf to be in the woods, for he too could not stay within the walls of any stone city for long periods of time.

“Surely you can understand, Legolas?” Arwen said in a small voice.

Legolas sighed. “Of course I can, Arwen. You are both welcome here anytime, you must know that.” But I wish you had not sent the guards back, he said only to himself. He could not help a small grin; only Eru knew what threats the queen must have used to pressure the guards into leaving, for they would not have left willingly.

Well, it is done, and I must provide what safety I can with what I have. I hope the elves will return from Pelargir tomorrow as they planned.

Arwen’s smile and the shouts of delight from Eldarion atop his horse strengthened his resolve to make their stay as pleasant as he could manage it. “Have you and Eldarion – ?”

“Yes, we have made sleeping arrangements in the talan with the rope ladder – yes, I know you will not let me climb the tree,” she replied with mock frustration, “and I have brought food from the palace for the evening meal, which my maid laid out before she – ah – she left with the others.” For a moment, she studied Legolas’ face for a reaction to what she said last, but he hid whatever it was he felt. “So, as soon as you are refreshed…”

Legolas chuckled. “Who is the host and who is the guest now, Arwen? You put us to shame,” he jested, “but foolish is he who declines a meal prepared by the cooks of Arwen’s royal kitchen. I will join you as soon as I can.” With a slight nod and another look to where Eldarion was still playing with the elvish horse, he stepped away to speak to the other elves.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day had begun hot and bright, and Eldarion had been given archery lessons in the morning till the young prince tired. Arwen and he were taking lunch with Legolas as they sat beside a stream in a clearing. Trees surrounded them but did not crowd them in. Eldarion was soon splashing about in the water, cooling himself and trying to wet his mother and Legolas as well. The elf would have happily joined him but he wanted to talk with Arwen.

“He is so happy here, Legolas. I’m glad this place can take his mind off how much he misses his father,” Arwen said, looking fondly at the squealing child who was trying to catch the silvery fish that could be found in the stream. Turning to the elf, she asked, “How is your work in South Ithilien progressing?”

“It is hard work, but very rewarding,” he replied. “The forests will breathe again, that is what my friends and I pledge. Aragorn and you will see South Ithilien as fair and green as they once were in the songs of our people, Arwen.” There was a hint of sadness in his voice as he said ‘our people’, for he was reminded that Arwen had given up her immortal life for Aragorn and that her husband, too, would die one day, while the elf lived on to mourn them.

“You are a good friend, Legolas, even if he is too busy to tell you so,” Arwen said softly.

Legolas turned his beautiful eyes towards the stream as if embarrassed by her remark. Eldarion was out of the stream and chasing after a hare now. “My time too has been devoted to the woods south.” I miss Aragorn, he thought, but quickly reminded himself that duty often demanded sacrifice. “He returns soon, you say?”

“In two days, perhaps three,” she affirmed with a smile, brightening at the thought. “So Eldarion and I must return tomorrow. He will be tired again, I expect, and glad to be home. You will come for dinner then, Legolas?”

“I will come,” he promised, waving his hand to Eldarion as the boy called to him and proudly held up the hare he had managed to catch. Legolas took a moment to sweep his eyes across the trees around them. He knew that guards, unseen and unheard, were hidden in the foliage, and that they would be by his side in an instant should he call. He still felt a little uneasy about the shadows that had been spotted, and felt the need to be even more alert with Aragorn’s family here. There were too few elves, and Legolas had no choice but to get them to patrol a smaller perimeter, further in than the actual fringes of the woods.

“He will want to see you. Perhaps you could stay for a while.” Arwen’s voice brought him back to the conversation. It was more of a request than an invitation. She was concerned about her husband and afraid that, under the weight of his responsibilities, he would lose sight of the things he held precious. Legolas read her mind and smiled a little sadly but said nothing.

“The welfare of Gondor rests on his shoulders, and caring for it is what makes him a good king, but even a good king needs some respite,” she continued. “I wish… well, my mind would be more at ease if you traveled with him sometimes, Legolas.”

The elf could not help giving a small laugh at that, shaking his head in disagreement. “After what happened with Lord Eigen? It would be wiser for me to distance myself from such dealings.”

“Distance is what the two of you do not need more of,” Arwen disputed, a note of frustration creeping into her voice. She placed a hand on the elf’s arm. “Please, Legolas, spend some time with him.”

“Gladly, my dear Arwen,” Legolas assented, but added, “if that is what he wishes. But if he does not desire that, then I must find another way to give him respite.”

“He needs you,” Arwen reiterated firmly.

Legolas looked at her for a long moment, then sighed and looked at the sky. “Lo, it darkens, Arwen,” he said, noting the rain clouds. “We should return to the talan. Does Eldarion not need to nap?”

The Queen laughed. “He is older now, Legolas and may not want to. But you speak true, we should return. He will not be happy to sit quietly in the talan. I must find something for him to do. Help me, Legolas, or we shall have a child in a fey mood by nightfall!”

The two of them called to Eldarion, who reluctantly let the hare go, and followed the grown-ups back to where Legolas and his elves had their homes in trees.

The Shadows watched everything and waited. Soon, their chief said. Very soon.