Add Story to Favourites Never Again by Nieriel Raina
[Reviews - 16] Printer Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Tag this Story:
grey havens

Words spoken in italics are in Sindarin

 

Chapter Fourteen: Confrontation

 

They had been talking for perhaps an hour. The more Legolas was told, the more discouraged the elf became. It is never an easy thing to be unable to remember your life. As Legolas was not completely well, still suffering from a headache and feeling weak, the elf was not handling all the information in his normal reserved manner, but stopping was not an option either, as suggesting to Legolas that he had been told enough for now, had turned the usually calm and collected prince into a more agitated, almost panicky elf.

The door opened unexpectedly and Aragorn turned from talking to the distraught Legolas to see Faramir standing in the doorway. The Steward looked upset and out of breath, as if he had just ran all the way from the Citadel. Aragorn focused intently on the Prince of Ithilien, preparing himself to hear some loathsome news for the kingdom.

“Aragorn, I must speak with you. Now! You must hurry.” Faramir took only a quick glance at Legolas, who was looking at the disheveled Steward with wide eyes, before looking back at the king. “Please, my lord, it is in Legolas’ best interest as well as your own.”

Gimli and Arwen wore worried expressions, and Aragorn quickly nodded, wondering what could have caused his Steward to be so upset. Leaving his wife and friend to deal with the recovering elf, the man stepped out of the room with Faramir, shutting the door behind them. The King faced his Steward, trying to prepare for the worst, when suddenly he knew exactly what Faramir was here to say, and it could not have come at a worse time.

“Thranduil is here! Along with his daughter and a contingent of guards. I was able to slow him down, Aragorn. I had a guard lead them here, while I ran the back way. You have only minutes before he arrives.” Rarely did Faramir look and sound so discomfited. The Steward took a quick breath. “Thranduil insisted on seeing his son immediately. Never have I seen a more daunting or incensed elf! I thought you would appreciate a warning as I was unsure as to Legolas’ condition, and whether he would benefit from such a visit.”

Aragorn smiled stiffly at the man’s concern. No one could have handled this situation better than the cool headed Prince of Ithilien. “My thanks! Legolas is awake as you saw, but his memory is mostly gone. And right now, you should be as well! It will not do for Thranduil to find you came a faster route!” Aragorn shooed Faramir through a door that led to another hall, one in which the man would not run into the King of Eryn Lasgalen.

As soon as the door shut, Aragorn heard the enraged King. The healers, bless them, were insisting on announcing the elves' presence, but Thranduil would have none of it, stating, quite loudly, that he was to be taken to his son immediately. Aragorn started walking down the hall, trying to prepare himself for the dreaded confrontation that was coming. The man was half way down the hall when the livid elf, followed closely by Princess Anariel, turned the corner behind a very frightened healer.

Upon seeing her King, relief filled the healer’s face, and the woman simply pointed at the last door, telling the elves Legolas was there and leaving Aragorn to address the situation.

Thranduil did not stop. The elven King did not acknowledge the King of Gondor as he walked swiftly towards the King of men. Aragorn stood in the hallway blocking the way to the door down the hall.

Thranduil approached, eyes sparkling in anger. “You WILL let me by! You will not keep me from my son!” This was a tone of voice Aragorn had never heard coming from Thranduil. It spoke not only of power and anger, there was a hint of desperation as well.

The elf moved to pass Aragorn, but the man simply outstretched his arms, effectively preventing the elf from further movement down the hall, at least without resorting to violence.

“I will not keep you from Legolas, but there are some things you must know first. You cannot...”

“DO NOT presume to tell me what I can and cannot do!” Aragorn voice was drowned out by Thranduil’s booming declaration. Thranduil’s eyes narrowed as he stood there glaring at the man, and for a moment, Aragorn was very intimidated.

In that moment, the man standing before the King of Eryn Lasgalen, was once again the young man he had been, chained in the dungeon of Mirkwood and charged with erroneous crimes, all in an effort to prevent Legolas and himself from remaining friends.

But only for a moment. Arwen’s wise words, spoken only a short while ago, echoed in the man’s head. “I will respectively remind you that you are in Gondor, not Eryn Lasgalen. You are in MY halls and you will go NOWHERE unless I give the word!” It was no longer Aragorn who spoke, this was King Elessar, and he spoke with the authority of the King he was. Elessar would not let the arrogant Thranduil intimidate him. The elven King was NOT going to see Legolas until the man had a chance to say what needed to be spoken.

So the two Kings stood in the hall, eyes ablaze with emotion. Neither was backing down.

ooo

 

King Thranduil was not intimidated in the least by the mortal King before him. It mattered not that this man was the King of the reunited kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor. This man had caused numerous conflicts between himself and his son, and Thranduil refused to be moved. The elf stood there eyeing the man with obvious distaste.

Now, will you listen to me or will we stand here all night?” Aragorn switched to Sindarin and dropped his hands.

Thranduil cursed mentally. The elf could very well stand here all night, but he wanted to see his son. He needed to see his son. But the elven King’s stubborn nature could not just allow him to hear the man out either.

His daughter’s voice, which had been silent until now, along with her hand on his arm, got his attention. Thranduil glanced down at her. “Please Ada, let him speak; we need to know what has happened. Legolas would not wish this.” Anariel’s voice was quiet, yet firm. It was her mother’s voice.

The King in the elf rose up, wishing to confront this man further, to prove to this mortal that he was not weak; he would never back down. But the father recognized that forcing his way into his son’s room was not how he wanted to make an entrance. It was not what his youngest son would want…or need.

Thranduil closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Anariel lowered her hand, but stayed standing close to him, reinforcing the newly awakened father in the elven King. And the father was not here to have a show of pride. The father simply wanted to see his son, to assure himself that Legolas was going to be alright.

Thranduil fought to calm the anger welling within towards the race of men, the one in front of him in particular. It took only a moment and Thranduil looked the King of Gondor in the eye and spoke evenly, his face now void of emotion. “Very well, what must we know before we can see Legolas.” As soon as the words left Thranduil’s mouth, fear gripped the elf’s heart. He paled and his knees went weak.

No,”Thranduil breathed, “tell me he has not...”

No, King Thranduil. Legolas lives and is much improved! His injuries are all but healed. However, the blow to his head was terrible. He was unconscious for thirty days and has only awoken a few hours ago.” As Aragorn spoke, relief filled Thranduil’s heart. He noticed Aragorn actually let out a smile, “Your timing is actually quite good, and although I am loath to admit it, your presence may help. He is somewhat upset at the moment.”

What do you mean? If he is awake, why do we stand here? Why would he be upset?” His relief was replaced as Thranduil began to get annoyed. He had been stopped to hear his son was well? This was ridiculous!

While his physical injuries have healed, his mind is not yet whole. Legolas has few memories of himself and those around him. This has made him unsure, and he feels lost at the moment.”

This news hit the elven King’s heart with a hard blow. Legolas did not remember. His son was feeling lost. Thranduil had seen this in others before, and at times, it was permanent, at least until an elf sailed to Valinor. In the Blessed Realm, all ailments, physical and mental, were healed.

You say not yet whole, but I know this affliction can sometimes not be reversed. What makes you sure he will remember?” Thranduil asked.

Fear now laced Thranduil’s voice and he barely caught himself from grimacing at hearing it. The King would never allow these emotions to come forth. The father struggled to quench the pride of the King, reminding himself that being a father was more important.

Legolas does remember much of what it means to be an elf. He remembers some of life in your halls, though he has yet to mention you. He senses we are familiar to him, and he remembered my name, Estel. These are all good signs that the loss is only temporary.” Aragorn spoke with confidence and Thranduil had to agree this indeed sounded like good news.

“I appreciate you letting us know these things before we see him, King Elessar.” It was Anariel’s voice, and she spoke in Westron as a sign of respect. The elven King found himself grateful he would not have to voice such a thing, though the father managed a nod.

“Would you please permit us to see him. My heart will not rest until I can determine for myself Legolas is well.” This was as close to an apology for his earlier behavior that Thranduil could allow himself. It was a step in the right direction.

The King of Gondor nodded. “My only request is that you be careful of what you say and how you react. Legolas is not managing his emotions well, another side effect of a severe head injury. If he does not remember you, please do not show your dismay. I am sure he will remember in time.”

Aragorn turned; Thranduil and Anariel followed him to the door at the end of the hall, joy filling their hearts, replacing the fear and despair. Now they would see for themselves that Legolas was going to be alright.

TBC